Mina Sidor

I have received a debt collection claim which I consider to be incorrect. What can I do?

If you believe that the debt collection claim is incorrect, you must dispute it with us.

You can do this by:

• Logging in to My Pages and send us a message about your case
• Send a letter to us: Sergel Kredittjänster AB, Box 17842, 118 94 Stockholm
• Call us, you will find the number on your debt collection claim

It is important that the dispute is received as soon as possible, but not after the due date of the debt collection claim.